A NEW HANDBOOK

From: Erwin Cohen (magnolia@magicnet.net)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 03:27:02 EEST

I want to say a couple of words about the impressive new LIA HANDBOOK OF
LASER MATERIALS PROCESSING just published by the Laser Institute of
America. (LIA is a not for profit professional society.) This is a large
and comprehensive reference work on virtually all processes including, of
course, rapid prototyping. (The RP stuff alone is a veritable handbook
within a handbook). I think tech reps and marketing people are going to
wear out the long table that ties each RP method to the materials it will
process, the applications it is best suited for, size restrictions, process
characteristics and post processing requirements and more.

Other than RP, it has, of course, the expected information on lasers,
optical components, monitoring, processing systems (cutting, drilling,
welding, hardening, cleaning), comparisons of technologies, costs, set-up
information, guidelines on selecting lasers. It's great to have that stuff
in one place along with what must be hundreds of tables and graphs of data.

Terry Feeley of Laser Fare is credited as the editor of the material on
rapid prototyping; great job Terry.

The complete table of contents is at www.laserinstitute.org.

Erwin Cohen