De Montfort's Rapid Manufacturing Group is Moving

From: Phil Dickens (pdickens@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 12:56:52 EEST

In a move that is aimed at enhancing our strong research background, I am
delighted to announce that the Rapid Manufacturing Group are moving to the
Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering at Loughborough
University, effective from the 1 October 2001.

Our time at De Montfort has seen extraordinary growth in the quality, size
and diversity of the work that has been undertaken by the group for which we
would like to extend our thanks to the Senior Executive at De Montfort
University, who have been very supportive. Indeed, the work of the Rapid
Manufacturing Consortium has covered new ground in collaboration with first
class European manufacturing companies and has lead to a series of projects
that have aided the Consortium members in their understanding of Rapid
Product Development.

In terms of our main research activities, we have been particularly
successful in gaining funding for new research projects, with the bulk of
the funding that we have received coming from the UK Engineering and
Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). Indeed, the EPSRC have recently
designated the Rapid Manufacturing Group a Centre of Excellence in
Manufacturing Technology. This designation means that we will be one of a
small number of manufacturing research groups who are to be funded by a new
block-grant system, also effective from 1st December this year.

In light of this new funding arrangement it was felt important to
consolidate our position and link with a manufacturing engineering
department who have also been given the new EPSRC funding. The Wolfson
School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering will be the recipient of
the largest of these block grants and have an excellent track record in
manufacturing research.

The move to Loughborough will signal a new chapter in the development of the
Rapid Manufacturing Research group and will place us in a strong position
for future growth. We are already one of the world's largest research groups
in Rapid Manufacturing and are looking forward to consolidating this
position at Loughborough University.

This is a very positive move and will not affect our current work as we will
carry on all the activities that are currently being performed.

Many regards

Phill

Prof. P. M. Dickens
Dept. of Engineering & Technology