does this mean I can't make biscuits?

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 20:58:20 EEST

Will the patent agency stop everyone from cooking and making 3d objects.
Looks like a winner for women and lawyers and a bummer for men!

I get first dibs on him cooking at my house...uh...wonder what the charge
will be?

Wonder if this will be another home cooking party?

Gosh from a new brain to a new cook all in one day. I am overwhelmed!

>United States Patent 6,280,784
>Yang , et al. August 28, 2001
>
>----------
>Method for rapidly making a 3-D food object
>February 10, 2000
>
>Rapid prototyping and fabrication method for 3-D food objects
>
>Abstract
>
>A freeform fabrication method for making a three-dimensional food object
>from a design created on a computer, including: (a) providing a support
>member by which the object is supported while being constructed; (b)
>operating a material dispensing head for dispensing a continuous or
>intermittent strand of food composition in a fluent state; this food
>composition including a liquid ingredient and a primary body-building food
>material and the dispensed food composition having a rigidity and strength
>sufficient for permitting the food composition to be built up layer by
>layer into a three-dimensional shape in a non-solid state; and (c)
>operating control devices for generating control signals in response to
>coordinates of the object design and controlling the position of the
>dispensing head relative to the support member in response to the control
>signals to control dispensing of the food composition to construct a 3-D
>shape of this object. The method optionally includes an additional step of
>applying a heat treatment to the 3-D shape after this 3-D shape is
>constructed. This method can be used to form an intricate shape of a cake
>mix, which is then baked in an oven. It can also be used to form a
>custom-designed decorative shape on the top surface of a pre-made cake.
>
>----------
>Inventors: Yang; Junsheng (Auburn, AL); Wu; Liang Wei (Auburn, AL); Liu;
>Junhai (Auburn, AL)
>Assignee: Nanotek Instruments, Inc. (Opelika, AL)
>Appl. No.: 537115
>Filed: March 28, 2000
>
>Current U.S. Class: 426/231; 425/112; 425/375; 426/512
>Intern'l Class: A23P 001/00; B32B 031/00
>Field of Search: 426/231,512,516 425/112,375 700/118,119,196
>
>----------

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.

  Some are the best in their fields. Some are second-rate achievers.
  But when the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten.
  Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29634-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/credo/rp.html