Bomb them with Butter. Was: Re: IRANIAN Response

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 11:08:10 EEST

At 03:10 PM 27/09/2001, David K. Leigh wrote:
>Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. Now here we go.

Hi David,

Thanks for your meaningful (and humorful) reply to the YELL on
this list.
I could not resist to join this completely off-topic thread by
forwarding a message that came in earlier this week, offering
a completely different angle. Perhaps something for your
brother-in-law ?

Lex Lennings

>This arrived in my inbox today. It's interesting.
>
>Bomb them with Butter Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:40:06 -0700
>Subject: Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope.
>
>A military response, particularly an attack on Afghanistan, is exactly what
>the terrorists want. It will strengthen and swell their small but fanatical
>ranks.
>
>Instead, bomb Afghanistan with butter, with rice, bread, clothing and
>medicine. It will cost less than conventional arms, poses no threat of US
>casualties and just might get the populace thinking that maybe the Taliban
>doesn't have the answers.
>
>After three years of drought and with starvation looming, let's offer the
>Afghani people the vision of a new future. One that includes full stomachs.
>Bomb them with information. Carpet the country with magazines and newspapers
>showing the horror of terrorism committed by their "guest". Saturation
>bombing with hope will mean
>that some of it gets through. Send so much that the Taliban can't collect
>and hide it all.
>
>The Taliban are telling their people to prepare for Jihad. Instead, let's
>give the Afghani people their first good meal in years. Seeing your family
>fully fed and the prospect of stability in terms of food and a future is a
>powerful deterrent to martyrdom.
>
>All we ask in return is that they, as a people, agree to enter the civilized
>world. That includes handing over terrorists in their midst. In responding
>to terrorism we need to do something different. Something
>unexpected..something that addresses the root of the problem. We need to
>take away the well of despair, ignorance and brutality from which the Osama
>bin Laden's of the world water their gardens of terror.
>
>Please pass this along. It is important that we learn to think in NEW ways.
>If we continue attacking in the old ways we will get the same old results.
>Look at what has been happening the middle east for thousands of years to
>see what we can expect if we attack with bombs and military force. Do we
>want to live a life of fear as people in the middle east do?

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com