Re: 3D digitizing

From: Alain BERNARD (Alain.Bernard@irccyn.ec-nantes.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 23:53:55 EEST

Dear Jeff,

I already saw the replies you had to your question.

I just would like to mention that there are also some X-Rays service
bureaux available, one in the south of France, for exemple (Tomoadour).

Regarding the 3D objects modelling, data computing and interpretation, many
softwares are available, we use both Surfacer and Polyworks and their
included control modules (with color map rendering).

Of course, data should be exported in different formats including IGES.

I hope it will help.

Best Regards,

Prof. A. BERNARD

At 12:18 17/10/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello RP-MLers,
>
>I have a question about 3D digitizing. I have a client who is having
>trouble with the process control on some extrusions. The extrusions are
>about 14" long, and are "C" shaped in cross section, so there is only a
>narrow opening along the length of the extrusion. There are a couple of
>secondary operations; the extrusions have an opening routed out of the
>center of the piece, perpendicular to the length. An insert is then
>sonicly welded into the opening, and then two endcaps are sonicly welded
>onto the ends. We suspect that these secondary operations are causing
>deformities which is negatively impacting performance. In order to
>properly analyze this, we would like to do comparisons of acceptable and
>defective assemblies and compare the two. Questions:
>
>1. What methods can yield accurate internal dimensions when the width of
>the opening is smaller than the internal dimension?
>
>2. Once two 3D models have been created, is there a way to overlap the two
>and call out the differences using color gradients or some similar method?
>
>3. What type of data is created? Could it be exported to IGES?
>
>Any shops that have relevant capabilities, please contact me directly via
>e-mail. Thanks.
>
>Jeff Katz
>President
>www.ProtoMarket.com
>The Online Marketplace for Rapid Manufacturing
>Fast, Free, Secure
>

>To subscribe for this group, send an email to:
>rp-ml-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

>For more information about the rp-ml, see http://rapid.lpt.fi/rp-ml/

Prof. Alain BERNARD
IRCCyN - Ecole Centrale Nantes