Re: Inserts for rapid prototpyes

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 04:15:11 EEST

Candice

We did a little work with SLS. The purpose of the insert was to register
the part with the build platform so that you could automatically locate it
after removal of powder. The insert has to be carefully prepared so that it
can accept the base material. We published some of this work in the SFF in
2000.

Regarding your application, if the part can be encapsulated in a material
compatible with that you are joining it to, then you could integrate it
with the part geometry. The main problem would be that the best SLS
material to use would be Duraform, which processes at temperatures that
could well fry the electronics. Its not quite the same as doing it in a
moulding since the temperatures are held much higher. FDM may be a better
candidate in some ways.

IG

At 04:32 PM 10/26/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know of any work being/been done regarding making RP parts with
>inserts in them? I was just having a chat with some people working on
>building modular blocks using injection moulding, with electronic boards as
>inserts. They are interested to know whether there is any possibility of
>doing something similar with rapid prototyped parts? I haven't heard of
>anything, but please let me know if you have ever tried this or know of
>anyone doing anything similar!
>
>Have a good weekend everyone,
>
>Candice
>
>Candice Majewski
>Room T2.02b
>Wolfson Building
>Loughborough University
>Loughborough
>Leicestershire.
>LE11 3TU
>
>Tel: +44 (0) 1509 227564
>Mob: +44 (0) 7812 942679
>Fax: +44 (0) 1509 227549
>E-mail: c.e.majewski@lboro.ac.uk

>For more information about the rp-ml, see http://rapid.lpt.fi/rp-ml/

Dr. Ian Gibson
Associate Professor
Dept. Mechanical Engineering
The University of Hong Kong
tel: +852 28597901
fax: +852 28585415
email: igibson@hkucc.hku.hk

The paper holds their folded faces to floor and every day the paperboy
brings more.