RE: Need a STL File of a SLA Machine

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 23:25:58 EET

See the following book:

J. von Neumann. The Theory of Self-Reproducing Automata.
University of Illinois Press, Illinois, 1966.
Edited and completed by A.W. Burks.

Mathematician John von Neumann's self replicating machine is closer to
reality, except for a few issues:

1) Existing RP machines are not self programming.
2) Existing RP machines cannot acquire the raw materials that are needed to
produce or reproduce.
3) Existing RP machines need an outside power source.
* Existing RP machines are also assembled from components and not built as
one monolithic structure.

Some 8 years ago, I used my SLA-250 machine to create replacement parts for
it's own "platform keeper", because 3D Systems couldn't keep them in stock
due to constant breakage. (It was a minor interference issue with the
sweeper bar and the platform.)

If the machine could choose to replicate itself on it's own, and then
accomplish it without outside intervention, (maybe work with another
machine) it would be able to self replicate.

I'd be happy if it could just find it's own raw materials... and leave the
programming to me.

Larry

Lawrence R. Blasch
Design Engineer