Soup from a stone... Fancy that.

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 16:06:38 EET

Paul and list,

What you expect to do with a component that is fabricated from design data
will vary throughout a project.

The purpose of a prototype is dependant on what information can be gleaned
from it's existence. A prototype that cannot provide a tangible benefit is a
waste of time and money.

The first step in evaluating RP systems is to determine what you want to do
with the prototypes.

Do you need to create CONCEPT models?
If so, why do you need them, or what purpose do they serve?
What will you do with them?
Who needs them?
When are they needed?
What materials do they need to be made from?

Do you need to create PRELIMINARY DESIGN prototypes?
If so, why do you need them, or what purpose do they serve?
What will you do with them?
Who needs them?
When are they needed?
What materials do they need to be made from?

Do you need to create FUNCTIONAL models?
If so, why do you need them, or what purpose do they serve?
What will you do with them, or how functional do they need to be?
Who needs them?
When are they needed?
What materials do they need to be made from?

Based on the above answers, do you need to create RAPID TOOLING?
If so, why do you need it, or what purpose does it serve?
What will you do with it?
Who needs the tool, you, or your supplier?
When is the tooling needed?
What materials does the tool need to be made from?

Based on your industry or market, do you need RAPID MANUFACTURING
capability?
If so, why do you need it, or what purpose does it serve?
What will you do with it?
Who needs the capability, you, or your supplier?
When is this capability needed?
What materials do the product or component need to be made from?

These are not redundant questions... but are determined by the business you
are in, or want to be in.

The answers to these questions may surprise you, but also give you direction
in your decision making process.

Not to discourage you from trying... But all prototypes do not perform the
same function!

It's like trying to pick the best car... What is "best" will be the one that
best fits your needs at the present.

Sincerely,

Larry Blasch

Lawrence R. Blasch