RE: STONE SOUP

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 02:55:20 EET

Paul et al.

Can we stop the debate and get on with it?

I for one would appreciate receiving your spreadsheet program or whatever
it is and, provided it is not too difficult or laborious, be willing to
fill it out and return it. Maybe I'm being too presumptuous, but I'm sure
Rapid Dude won't mind.

IG

At 08:51 PM 12/17/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Point to ponder.... Are we looking for a 100% solution to the selection
>process? I'm not. I want to be able to scan the field, find "x" number of
>processes that would work and go out and do my own due diligence on those
>processes.
>
>I can't imagine a situation where we would be able to hone in on a "best
>practice" process. Heck, if we did that process would probably be making
>lot's of $$$ for someone without much work. The answer would be so obvious.
>
>Why can't we come up with some "industry standard" way of defining parts
>.... say a Group Technology approach ... or Design for
>Manufacturability/Assembly approach (Boothroyd and Dewhurst) and use that as
>initial input to the selection process. This would generate a range of
>processes that would acheive some percentage of the users goals.
>Additionally, it would be nice to factor in things like..... How much space
>does this process require? Utilities? Safety Requirements? Machine cost ?
>Maintenance cost? Training? Learning Curve? Material cost per model? Startup
>Issues? Other changes required or desired to existing processes? Integration
>of existing processes?
>
>This is a decision making and managerial tool. I hope no one expects the
>process to be perfect... heck the RP systems are far from it!
>
>Paul Finelt
>Director, Product Design & Product Engineering
>Swarovski North America
>1 Kenney Drive
>Cranston, RI 02920-4400
>voice 401.463.2757
>fax 401.463.4757

Dr. Ian Gibson
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Hong Kong
+852 2859 7901 (O)
+852 2858 5415 (F)
+852 2817 1784 (H)
+852 9873 8281 (M)

I've been here and I've been there and I've been in between.