RE: Lightweight CAD Files

From: James Carruthers (jim@hydraulicdesign.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 22:38:36 EET

> Hello! Everybody!
>
> Recently I heard the term Lightweight CAD Models or
> Lightwright format files. Could anybody please put
> light on what these mean, do they refer to
> not-very-accurate trnaslations? Please point to some
> article/paper on the same.

Hi,

In the context of CAD, it refers to a model, say, of a complex assembly,
where all the interal bits have been removed and the whole thing turned into
one large empty shell. In other contexts it's press-release-speak, typcially
for 'web' graphics, for using NURBS or subdivision surfaces or whatever for
models instead of meshes.

Jim
James Carruthers
Hydraulic Design