RE: Mass Customization

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 16:26:52 EET

Steven and list,

I hereby amend my last statement...

Besides, a totally customized product won't sell "to the masses" if it's 10%
more expensive than the standard item.
____

I will also add...

With the computer revolution in the business world, employees are expected
to use an ever changing suite of complex software tools to perform their
jobs. At the same time, our job descriptions have been expanding to include
more functions than ever before. This same revolution extends to the
educational institutions where research means multi media, not a trip to the
library, and the students are expected to produce presentations in lieu of a
term paper. The entertainment industry has evolved into a rapidly changing,
multifunction, option rich, training ground for the computer user. Even in
the kitchen, everything from the coffee maker to the microwave oven can now
be programmed with a myriad of options that no one can hope to master.

Our world has become saturated with constantly changing, option rich
environments that we must attempt to function in.

At some point the options become too much and we look for simplicity.

Just my humble opinion.

Larry Blasch

Lawrence R. Blasch
Design Engineer