Re: Mass Customization

From: Steven Pollack (steve@familyjeweler.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 22:12:04 EET

Brock,

While RP may be a ways away from making completely original designs for
standard models of cars, one thing it can do is make manufacturing
smaller batches economically feasible. Whereas auto manufacturing tool
and die creation and setup charges may only amortize at volume over
100,000 RP may make it feasible to setup smaller production in the
1,000's of units. The CAD system in that case, instead of offering
unlimited variation in the shape of the hood might allow for a dozen
variations which is 11 more than we have to choose from today per
model. The bolt locations would be fixed per model or model type while
the styling would change. The biggest issues are where the parts
interfacce with other parts so they would need to come to a common plane
or arc.

If I am correct in the feasibility of smaller batches then RP may enable
smaller boutique type auto manufacturers to flourish.

Steven