Re: Mass Customization

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric-bi.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 02:44:36 EET

For those small numbers of people willing to pay the extra for customized styling, I suspect you could be right. Actually, you wouldn't even need to standardize the bolt locations, as long as the part interface can be scanned accurately into the system. The big companies might even welcome design experimentation and might want to be informed of improvements and failures (such as materials mismatches that result in parts falling off, crashes, and so forth) experienced by such lead users. I don't deny the logic and technical feasibility of what you say. I just think market experience indicates most people aren't willing to pay extra. Even in jewerly and art, where you would think uniqueness would be primary and where safety is not an issue (in most cases), the volume of custom work pales in comparison to the mass of manufactured stuff.
Brock