Re: Questions on DuraForm GF and other options

From: Timothy J Gornet (tim.gornet@louisville.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 15:44:04 EET

Mike, it depends on what the application is that you are creating the
part for. Does it need to be sealed to make sure that it is water tight?
If it is something like a pump impeller or fan blade then there is no
need to seal it. The Duraform GF performs very well in water (hot and
cold) and in many chemicals as an impeller material. I know of
applications of its testing as impellers with everything from appliance
pumps to sewage pumps. Some were sealed with CA as a finishing step not
necessarily for sealing.

Good luck,
Tim

Tim Gornet Computer Aided Engineering Consultant
INTERNET: tim.gornet@louisville.edu
SLUGNET: Vogt Bldg. Rm 101, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
40292
PHONENET: (502)852-0714 FAXNET: (502)852-8890
Rapid Prototype Center

>>> "Pacholski, Mike [SAA]" <MPacholski@armlink.com> 03/06/02 05:51PM

List,
        I was wondering if someone could help me with my question. I'm
looking at making a testable prototype from an SLS with DuraForm GF. The
questions is regarding the finishing process. One options is a vacuum
impregnating the part with a Methacrylate resin the other is treatment
of Cyanocrylate. What is the difference and effect of these two process?
I will be running the part in water and machining it down in between my
tests.
        Also, are there any better materials (e.g.. strong and more
durable) than the DuraForm GF that can be tested in water that I should
be looking into? (not including steel RP, the build area is not large
enough) The Stratasys Polycarbonate and Polyphenylsulfone also looked
like an option, but I still need to do more research on this.
Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike