RE: 3D medical modelling

From: Bibb, Richard (PDR) (RBibb-pdr@uwic.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 18:49:52 EET

Dear Panos and list,

A good point. One of the biggest problems we face is in transferring data
from one source to another. Recently for example we had problems simply
getting point cloud data from one application into another. This was not so
much a technical problem but one of proprietary format. It seemed that some
products create their own formats especially to make it difficult to use
competitors software. This proved very annoying and time consuming.

The sooner we have a good universal three-dimensional format the better. STL
is not bad but its not very efficient. In the meantime I would encourage
software vendors to be as flexible as possible with their import and export
format options even if it means co-operating with competitors.

regards,
Richard

___________________________________
Dr. Richard Bibb