RE: 3D Modelling

From: James Carruthers (jim@hydraulicdesign.net)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 02:49:48 EET

Hello List,

"3D" is a very broad topic so it's impossible for one product to hope to
cover everything, and people in different industries in general have
different needs.

But, there are several ways that 'specialization' can fail. The most obvious
trouble is the situation where it's used as a marketing scam, where
functionality that is commonplace in systems in some other field is dressed
up with jargon and charged a premium for, betting on the ignorance of their
customers.

The more sublte problem is how 'specialized' systems for one particular
industry can tend to be designed. Doing too much to try and 'tailor' the way
the system works and is used to the percieved needs and process and jargon
of a particular industry is very problematic, as these decisions are based
on assumptions about how groups of people work and think, when as we all
know when we try to categorize people in most any way, that the variations
among members of a group are greater than the differences between the
groups. And, one can fall into the trap of simply trying to 'automate' old
processes instead of inventing new ones. So what I'm saying is, in an ideal
world, software should be categorized by what it does, not who it is for--we
are intelligent enough to figure out what we want to do ourselves. A certain
specific task may be pretty much exclusive to a certain field, but the
optimum means of doing it usually isn't.

As an example, look at how most "illustration" programs, at least
traditionally for the most part, lacked tools for 'accurately' drawing
items. Object snaps, numeric input, that kind of thing. They're not not
there because the basic geometry is any less accurate than in a CAD program,
it was a concious choice based on the assumption that 'illustrators' don't
need or want that stuff, that only 'engineers' do. Who knows, maybe if it
wasn't for that mistake long ago, 3D CAD, as a specific product category,
wouldn't exist yet, we'd all be happily using 3D Studio or something.

Jim
James Carruthers
Hydraulic Design
--3D Modeling and Design