Re: suitability of machines for jewelry prototyping

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 15:17:00 EET

Dear Al,

Well, the only thing that I can say is that I have been honest
on this subject in the email to the rp-ml: complex designs
that cannot be machined can be created using additive RP.
The Cupid/Venus design is a good example.

On other types of geometry CNC machining performs good,
see for instance the Venus on our website
www.deskproto.com/gallery/venus.htm
This solid geometry can (dependant on its size) in many
cases better be made using CNC machining.

Indeed perhaps my remark on the Sanders machine has
been made too quickly, from my mission to promote
CNC milling as a true and competitive RP technology.
Still the remark was to my best knowledge, based on
experiences with Sanders' users. I think that it is important
to be always honest both about the advantages and
disadvantages of the system one sells, and we try to do
so ourselves.

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

At 07:43 AM 18/03/2002, you wrote:
>Lex:
>
>I would like to see what you could do with a CNC machine on a model like the
>Venus and Cupid image that is shown on the Sanders Design home page. In
>case you didn't notice, Cupid is the fetus within Venus in that image.
>You can receive an STL version of the file from Chathamres@aol.com.
>
>Regards,
>Al Hastbacka
>
>For more information about the rp-ml, see http://rapid.lpt.fi/rp-ml/

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com