appropriate use of RP parts

From: B. J. Arnold-Feret (ppsltd@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 19:17:03 EET

I had to jump in after I saw a couple of questions regarding applications recently on the RPML that may or may not be the best use of SLS.

Just because you can do a part for a certain application, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should manufacture a prototype part for that customer. Materials that are inert and approved for use in components in production processes may not be appropriate nor have the expected characteristics for the customer use when prototyped.

Education of the customer is essential, so that they are aware of the differences between, for example, an ABS part that is injection molded versus an FDM part out of ABS. A block of solid nylon that is approved for use is not the same as an SLS nylon part in use. Another example is an nylon part that is injection molded versus a nylon SLS part will certainly have differences in surface smoothness, tensile strength, and impact resistance.

B. J. Arnold-Feret
ppsltd@airmail.net