Re: STL issues

From: Mr.Le Chi Hieu (leechihieu@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 21:52:57 EET

Dear,

> I have an .stl file is there a way of converting it
> to a solid model with out losing data,
> if not what is the best way of getting a solid
> model?

You can get some things related in the following
papers:

Alciatore, D.G. and Wholers, T.T., “Importing and
reshaping digitized data for use in rapid prototyping:
a system for sculpting polygonal mesh surfaces”, Rapid
Prototyping Journal, Vol.2, No.1, 1996, pp13-23.

> The idea is using MIMICS to produce solid
> models for use in FE programs. We can get
> nice .stl and .iges files but it takes forever to
> convert them to solids and there has to be loss
> of data along the way.

So what is your FEA model ? I mean the models of 1, 2
or 3 materials ? and What is the FEA package to be
used ?

In MIMICS have a function of exporting the FEA models,
but I am sure that a lot of manipulations are needed
for re-meshing the model before it can work;
especially for non-linear analysis problems, a small
error in the geometry of the FEA mesh can result in a
different numerical results. Then, you can you the
blooding method in MARC software for auto-selecting
the outer triangles of the model from which you can
re-mesh your model by TET or HEXMESH methods. By this
way you do not have to expense the losing data.

Another method is to convert your models into the ones
of NURB based modeling surfaces or solids (using
Surfacer V.9 or 10 from Imageware or related Reverse
Engineering ones). Then the NURB model is imported
into MARC (Mentat) for meshing, or you can do meshing
the solid model in UG (Pro/Eng, PATTRAN), then
importing the meshed model into MARC through the
PATTRAN format.

Good luck,

Le Chi Hieu

=====