RE: I beg to differ Re: Stupid STL Question

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 22:21:22 EET

Dear Mr.Le Chi Hieu,

I don't profess to be familiar with the MIMICS software, but you indicated
that the data output includes IGES format of the individual slices from the
scan data.

By creating a NURBS surface directly from those IGES sections (You would
probably need to first convert the lines and curves into NURBS entities),
You should be able to produce a much cleaner, smooth, editable file in any
competent CAD surfacing program. MIMICS must be doing something like this to
create the "faceted" STL file that it currently creates. You don't want the
facets, so why create them in the first place.

Don't assume that the only way to get a 3D model is to start with an STL
file from MIMICS.

Although I don't suggest that it would be the best way to achieve the type
of NURBS surface file that you are interested in. (IGES files can be
problematic when you attempt to close multiple surfaces into a solid.) I
would first suggest that you talk to the MIMICS people and discuss your
application. They may be able to output NURBS section data instead of IGES,
or even the NURBS surface file from the section data directly, and solve
your problem for you.

I would guess that MIMICS outputs the STL data directly because the
expectation was that their customers wanted to eliminate manipulation of the
scan data and go directly to RP models. What you want is to manipulate the
scanned data before you go to RP.

Larry Blasch