RE: I beg to differ, or Processing scan data into NURBS surfaces. ..

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 18:43:21 EET

Dear Mr.Le Chi Hieu and Listers

I tend to approach all problems from the mechanical Engineers point of view
(that's how I was trained) so forgive me if I misunderstand the problem you
are dealing with.

I understand that the STL file allows you to visualize the scan data in an
easier to understand format, but the scan data that the STL was created from
only had 2D sections in it. The MIMICS software uses a routine to connect
the 2D sections (polyline data) by what I would imagine is a relatively
simple process. My sincere apologies to MIMICS software developers if I make
it sound too simple, but you could:

1) Extract a (uniform number) point set from the polylines of each section.
2) Connect the points in numeric order to the equivalent number point in
each adjacent section.
3) Map every 3 of the resulting connections as triangles.
4) Determine the face vector direction of the triangle.

I'm sure that I am over simplifying the process, but you get my meaning.

The STL was created from the same 2D sections that could be used to create
the NURBS sections. By using the STL vector data to determine inside and
outside of the sections, you could automatically process the NURBS and break
them in the correct place. Once that is accomplished, NURBS surfaces can be
constructed that represent the shape of the inside and outside surface of
the bone structure. You would have editable surfaces that can be split and
mirrored just like the STL file, but would be much smoother than the STL.
(And would be able to be imported into most CAD/CAM programs.)

Talk to the MIMICS people and see what they can do. If there is a market for
this type of data output, I'm sure that they would be happy to work with
you.

Sincerely,

Larry Blasch

Lawrence R. Blasch