where is true geometry

From: Bradley Van Dike (bvandike@yazaki-na.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 20:14:54 EET

Ngee
I can speak for SLA and I am pretty sure it applies to FDM as for the rest of the RP proccesses I am not sure. To get as close to nominal as possible you should leave the "stair steps" alone.
To get an accurate smooth surface, with SLA, we have found that you can offset "beam comp" (on the SLA) to be larger by the distance of the "stair step" and sand away the "stair step". To insure you do not sand to much, color the surface of the part with a marker and remove the color. It is not exact but we have proven this method to be accurate within +/-.002 inches in most cases if you are careful.
For documentation of this process see the tutorial presented by Yazaki and Daimler Chrysler at the 3DNASUG from 2000
If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.

Brad Van Dike
Yazaki North America
734.983.1704
bvandike@yazaki-na.com