ARCHITECTURAL_Stl files to full scale fabrication

From: Jonathan Chertok (chertok22@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 17:38:18 EET

rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi

List,

Bathsheba's posting has got me thinking about some earlier work of mine.

Does anyone know of detailed information that I might find with respect to getting a 3D stl file (or CAD File) into large scale structural steel. Are there steel manufacturers or fabricators who can use a 3D wireframe with which to semi-automate a steel structure fabrication?

If so, what do they need for the front end file information (a list of 3D Coordinates?), and how does the manufacturing process work.

If anyone out there has, "been there done that", I'd like to understand how one might go from a 3D wireframe of a building to a semi-automated steel fabrication shop. I'd particularly like to be referred to a technical person in a state-of-the-art structural steel fabrication plant.

Any ideas on where to start?

Jonathan Chertok