Re: .stl of Lower Manhattan

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 02:48:01 EET

Jonathan,

Your can use LIDAR scan data that can be generated by a number of comercial mapping agencies. For a project of this nature you would need data obtained from a plane. The LIDAR gives point cloud data, usually with about .5 foot accuracy that the mapping company usually tranforms into polymesh. That data can then be sent to a varitey of RP type machines to generate your model. You will not get very good overhanging data but I would imagine that you just need the major massing.

I would think that the data set probably exists in a number of places but it may be hard to get.

I am running out to a flyfishing lesson (!) but if you or anyone wants more elaboration or the contacts that I have, mostly regional, I can supply them.

Best