Re: Micro Ball-Endmill for EDMless Tool Making

From: jeffrey mcwhinney (slideleft@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 15:03:03 EEST

Dear Mr. Min,
Regarding "stability" in your machining process-
I'm not certain if you are referring to thermal stability problems, but if
so it is a real issue any time one starts to cut truly small features
requiring tight tolerances and repeatability. In my "real" job as a research
diamond turning machinist with 3M, all our machines and parts are kept oil
showered at 20C. Likewise, my lab is kept closely at this temperature. I
learned long ago that my parts would be rejected any time our cooling
systems had fluctuations.
Regarding ball end mills- Though most of my work is lathe based, you might
inquire with our diamond tool manufacturer, Chardon Tools, for some small
ball mills. These however cannot be used on ferrous metals.
Good luck and I'd like to hear of your progress.
Jeffrey McWhinney