Z Corp announces Z Cast - Direct Metal Casting

From: Buzz Lightyear (mwk462@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 19:38:32 EEST

Here is more information on the new Z Cast
Z CORPORATION ANNOUNCES Z™CAST DIRECT METAL CASTING
Burlington, MA -Z Corporation is very pleased to announce the development of ZCast Direct Metal Casting, a breakthrough ability to produce prototype cast parts in aluminum and other metals in 24-48 hours. Z Corporation has formed an alliance with Griffin Industries (www.griffinweb.com), a leading producer of prototype and production tooling, for the continued development and optimization of this technology. The new ZCast powder system is a plaster and ceramic composite specifically designed for casting aluminum and other non-ferrous metals.

"The promise of this approach is that a customer could start with their 3D CAD data in the morning, print a mold of their part on a 3D printer using the ZCast material system, and be pouring metal at a local foundry or in-house the next day," explains Jim Bredt, Z Corporation's Chief Material Scientist and co-founder. "Our technical core competence is producing complex geometry quickly and inexpensively. In addition to getting printed parts in hours for a range of applications, our customers will be able to produce cast metal prototypes for testing and verification in one or two days." ZCast molds can be printed on Z Corporation's Z406 3D Printer (200 x 250 x 200mm) or the Z810 Large Format 3D Printer (400 x 500 x 600mm).

Tom Krouth of Griffin Industries adds, "In our work to date we have already produced good quality non-ferrous castings using the ZCast process. We see that we can get from CAD to finished parts in 1-2 days, depending on complexity and size, in a one-step process with no tooling required. We are now conducting a systematic survey of the full capabilities of this approach, which we expect to last several months. We are very pleased and confident with the early results."

Z Corporation is developing this approach with a small group of beta customers and plans a general release later this year. This new opportunity is a result of a recent agreement with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology permitting an expansion to Z Corporation's field of use under MIT's broad 3D printing patents. Z Corporation will have ZCast aluminum parts and ZCast shells on display at the upcoming Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing Show in Cincinnati, April 30th - May 2nd. For more information, please contact Z Corporation.

  García_Romero_Ana <AnGarcia@inasmet.es> wrote: I might be wrong, but as far as I know the 3D printing process developed by MIT was licensed according to market-product sectors, not to materials. Presently, related to ceramic products there are at least three different licenses: one for producing ceramic shells for casting, once for producing ceramic filters, and one for producing ceramic preforms for metal matrix composites....This is what I knew, but there might be several more licenses.-----Mensaje original-----
Z Corp has secured the patent rights to now start producing parts with ceramics. They will be showing parts at the upcoming RP show in Cincinnati.
MK
  Erkut Negis <erkut@innotek.com.tr> wrote:
Dera List,

As far as I know, only Soligen has license to use MIT's 3DP technology for direct fabrication of ceramic investment casting shells?

Regards

Erkut Negis

Z CORP Press Release:

http://www.zcorp.com/content/newsroom/print/Zcast.htm

Z CORPORATION ANNOUNCES Z™CAST DIRECT METAL CASTING

Burlington, MA, April 5, 2002 - Z Corporation is very pleased to announce the development of ZCast Direct Metal Casting, a breakthrough ability to produce prototype cast parts in aluminum and other metals in 24-48 hours. Z Corporation