Re: Competition for Objet

From: Steven Pollack (StevenP@DigitalJeweler.NET)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 18:45:17 EEST

Great, but is it castable? Interesting also that so many in the jewelry
industry, myself included, have talked to 3D Systems regarding the Thermojet
and having a two material system with a dissolvable material so support
structure would not be such a hassle, and they determined that several
million $ in R&D would need to be done to achieve this. Subsequently they
determined that their R&D funds would be better spent elsewhere.

Appearantly this R&D went into blocking a competing technology rather than
opening up new markets for 3D Systems products. I don't see how this
product will open up any new markets. I can definately see how it would
canabalize existing sales of SLA machines but that does not seem like such a
benefit to 3D Systems.

They should really call me before doing these things.

Steven Pollack