Re: STL file conversion

From: Timothy J Gornet (tim.gornet@louisville.edu)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 21:00:49 EEST

Matt,
An STL file by definition is not a "precise" file unless it is purely
prismatic with no rounds. There are a number of STL file packages that
allow you to measure the STL file directly for things like wall
thickness, radii, etc... Any of the Materialise, Solid Concepts, Desk
Artes, Surfacer, etc... allow you to do this. If you want to surface the
STL file then you can use Raindrop Geomagic or Paraform to create
surfaces from your data that will allow you to read it into a CAD
software.

Good luck.

Tim

Tim Gornet Computer Aided Engineering Consultant
INTERNET: tim.gornet@louisville.edu
SLUGNET: Vogt Bldg. Rm 101, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
40292
PHONENET: (502)852-0714 FAXNET: (502)852-8890
Rapid Prototype Center

>>> <williquette.mk@pg.com> 05/23/02 01:00PM >>>
List,
Could someone tell me if there is any software or anything else out
there that
will convert in STL back into a working CAD drawing? I need to do this
so that
i can get precise measurements off of a file that i received from 3D
systems.

Thanks
Matt