Re: my goodness

From: martin koch (mkoch@calpoly.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 00:01:48 EEST

Wow Elaine, you do go back along way if you remember the competition
Phil Dickens and I had with each other to produce a hot melt based RP
systems!

Phil's was based upon a CNC mill with a system to push a large glue
stick into a glue gun mounted on the mill head. Mine was a batch melt
system based upon a small xyz controller with a batch melt system that
consisted of basically:
        - a pipe section with replaceable nozzles (needle mounts from the
local Ag. supply house) with an air nipple on the top
        - the melt chamber set into a Buehller metallurgical heater an old one
"borrowed" from the back cupboard of the Materials department
        - a single valve air system that extruded the glue under about 4 psi.

We programmed it via our standard Autocad to an HPGL plot file that we
converted with a simple Basic program to Gcodes although we have used
one of the simple CAD programs that you buy at Office Depot off the
candy bar and knickknack rack for $30.
We are currently (oddly enough) making a few of the systems for use in
investment and precision sand casting.

Additionally, what we have the metal casting student do is machine foam
plate and assemble patterns for Lost Foam casting. Sort of like the old
SPARX system out of Sweden.

Our goal, this next year, is to develop a little table top mill for foam
cutting and also hot glue RPing that we would have high school teachers
build during seminars on campus for them to take back to their classes.
We would have them build the circuit boards, machine the frames, learn
alittle about the programming, etc.

Anyways, have fun
martin