RE: STL-based HSM

From: Finelt Paul (Paul.Finelt@swarovski.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 15:29:46 EEST

While I haven't tested the HSM tool path capabilities of Delcam's PowerMill,
I can tell you it is extremely fast in generating tool paths. I have never
seen complex, pencil trace and re-machining tool paths calculated so fast.

Most tool path generating programs approximate points on surfaces unless
they are generating NURB tool path commands. If your STL file is tessellated
to an adequate accuracy the tool paths should not be a problem either. I
have tested this on small parts ( < 50.4mm, 2" max. dimension) and never
found tool path error to be measurable in a shop environment (i.e. greater
than total machining tolerances or +/-.001",.025mm).

I have always believed that the shop should not change a part design. Adding
machining geometry (boundary curves, etc.) does not effect that.

Best Regards,
Paul Finelt
Director, Product Design and Product Engineering
Swarovski North America
1 Kenney Drive
Cranston, RI 02920-4400
voice - 401.463.2757