Re: Minimum feature sizes on RP parts

From: Stanley Lechtzin (stanley@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 18:47:42 EEST

Hi Candice -

The service bureau that we use for our Wax Jet Printing (Sanders process)
consistently supplies models with features as small as 0.129mm.

I hope that others with real world experience, will contribute their
experience to this listing. It will prove useful to us in designing for the
various commercial processes.

Cheers,
- Stanley

At 01:39 PM 7/19/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I am trying to put together an information sheet detailing current RP
>processes. One thing I am interested in is the minimum feature size which
>can be successfully produced using each process.
>
>Below is a list of the processes I am looking at, along with the feature
>sizes I have down at the moment.
>
>I am interested in any comments anyone may have - are these numbers
>reasonable, have you successfully produced smaller features than these, or
>are these sizes unrealistic?
>
>Stereolithography - 0.1mm
>Fused Deposition Modelling - 0.2mm
>Direct Metal Laser Sintering (EOS) - 0.2mm
>Laser Sintering (3D Systems) Metal - 0.2mm
>Laser Sintering (3D Systems) Plastic- 0.2mm
>Laser Sintering (3D Systems) Sand - 0.5mm
>Wax Jet Printing - 0.2mm
>3-D Printing (Soligen) - 0.5mm
>3-D Printing (Pro-metal) - 0.2mm
>3-D Printing (Z-Corp) - 0.5mm