Re: 3D Systems is on sale . . .

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 22:44:02 EEST

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Steven Pollack wrote:
> Well if this is true then that is good news. Sony would not be interested
> unless they saw the possibility to advance the technology to a broader
> market, something the engineering-centric 3D Systems has failed to
> contemplate so far.

I've long thought that this is the only way there'll ever be a
consumer-level desktop RP box: if a company that knows about economies
of scale and mass manufacturing of precision equipment - e.g. printers
- buys one of the existing RP firms to acquire its patents.

I was kind of hoping HP would be the one, but I guess they have their
own problems now. Well, I'd be happy with Sony; it's nothing but good
for the industry.

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                                         (831) 429-8224
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com