request from University Tecnhology of Malaysia

From: FOO SEE CHAI (s_c_foo@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 19:29:05 EEST

Dear Sir,

            I am a final year student, doing my degree of Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Manufacturing) from University Technology of Malaysia. I am now doing my thesis, titled “Improvement and a new method of Polishing for Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) Rapid Prototyping ABS Product.

            As I know, Sir is an expert of RP technology and has been studying RP process for years. Thus, could I ask your opinion on ‘polishing method for FDM product’ or any information related to this field. Besides, I will very glad if Sir can help me to answer the following questions:

1)      What is the existing method (procedures) of polishing for FDM product?

2)      What the parameters for the polishing for FDM product?

3)      How can the polishing for FDM product being carried out for getting the best quality in effective time?

4)      What kind of polishing method can be carried out to improve the surface quality?

5)      What are the effects to the FDM-ABS products after suitable or improper polishing processes such as form and fit, accuracy, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GDT), dimension and tolerance, surface texture, surface roughness etc?

6)      What are the metrology inspection being carried out for checking the above terms?

7)      What is the standard that your company refers to for the polishing parameter?

            If you have no any information regarding the FDM, then can you give me the information of the relating area for any type of rapid prototyping approaches? I am very appreciating if you can help me to solve my problem. Hope to hear from you as soon as possible.

Foo See Chai