Re: Porous RP Material/ Vacuum Molding Request

From: John Cline (fanbelt.1@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 09:34:40 EEST

We use both Stratasys FDM and SLA (Somos 9100) for vac forming of sheet
material up to about 2mm thick. They work fine for prototyping purposes
(i.e., slow cycle times). FDM is a 2-edged sword because porosity almost
guarantees great draw thru the mold, but surface finish gets a little rough.
SLA can be made fairly smooth with sanding, but you need to place holes for
drawing in critical areas.

"Growing" vac form tools and molds for casting Silicone rubber and urethane
parts is a key function for us and represents more than 30% of the parts we
make for ourselves.

You should have great success using RP for prototype vac form tooling.

John