RE: question for those involved in RP on medical applications

From: Nick Osborn (Nick.Osborn@swiftech.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 18:38:44 EEST

Rafael

I know that there has been some developmental work done looking at using 30% glass fibre filled PPS (polysulphone). I believe the idea is to use plastic injection moulding + gas injection to mimic the structure and weight of an actual hip joint. However, I am not aware of any published research on this front.

Regards

Nick

>>> "Bibb, Richard (PDR)" <RBibb-pdr@uwic.ac.uk> 22/08/02 15:28:20 >>>
Dear Rafael and list,

I'm not an expert in orthopaedic surgery but as far as I know you cannot
make an artificial hip joint from anything non-metallic. Acrylic (double
processed PMMA) is sometimes used in craniofacial reconstruction but these
tend not to be physically load bearing, certainly no where near the kind of
loads a hip joint would be expected to undergo.

Although many artificial hip joints incorporate ceramic and plastic bearing
surfaces the main parts are either titanium or a medical grade of stainless
steel.

I am also curious as to why you want a non-metallic artificial hip joint? I
have seen hip replacement surgery first hand and there's no way I'd have
anything less than top quality metal work if it were me under the knife!

regards,
Richard
Dr. Richard Bibb
PDR