RE: Body part libraries

From: Andy Christensen (andy@medicalmodeling.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 17:36:29 EEST

Eitan, et al,

I would agree with others comments, this man (visible male) and woman
(visible female) freely gave their bodies to science. My information
is that he was a prisoner and she was just an ordinary citizen. My
guess is that if you would count the number of amazing things that have
come from the two projects it would be astounding. I know that many
data libraries have been established to allow medical students to
analyze the data and even perform simulated surgery on these models.
This will hopefully allow for surgeons to be better practiced on surgery
without having to do some of that training on you or I. Here's what the
National Library of Medicine says about the purpose of the project:

"The Visible Human Project data sets are designed to serve as a common
reference point for the study of human anatomy, as a set of common
public domain data for testing medical imaging algorithms, and as a test
bed and model for the construction of image libraries that can be
accessed through networks. The data sets are being applied to a wide
range of educational, diagnostic, treatment planning, virtual reality,
artistic, mathematical and industrial uses by over 1,400 licensees in 42
countries. But key issues remain in the development of methods to link
such image data to text-based data. Standards do not currently exist for
such linkages. Basic research is needed in the description and
representation of image based structures, and to connect image-based
structural-anatomical data to text-based functional-physiological data.
This is the larger, long-term goal of the Visible Human Project: to
transparently link the print library of functional-physiological
knowledge with the image library of structural-anatomical knowledge into
one unified resource of health information."

I would hope that if I donate my body it would be of the same benefit to
mankind as these two individuals. We all benefit from this project and
should strongly support the ongoing work it proposes.

Just my 2cents,
Andy

Medical Modeling LLC
17301 W. Colfax Ave., Ste. 300