RE: Students Awed by Technology & Career Opportunities

From: KDenton@williams-int.com
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 15:21:49 EEST

Glen,

Well said! I have been going to my daughters grade school for 3 years now
doing a demo on phase change using polyurethanes and rubber molds and of
course masters made from SL and other technologies. Up until last year I
did the demo for one class of about 26 students and the entire 3rd grade
decided they wanted the demo as well. Last year there were over 150 kids
and each one had a million questions. It is VERY refreshing to be involved
in such an event. At previous years demos I made a small PU figure of a
character my daughter came up with called Clarence the Clayosaurus (the
original figure was made of clay). At last years event I passed out a book
where Shelby (my daughter) and Clarence tell how StereoLithography works.
Attached to each book was a stereolithography figure of Clarence. The kids
ate it up! The demo ends with a race between myself and the teachers using
a foaming PU that (at least, last year) was colored to match red, white and
blue. We mixed the to liquids and the winner is determined by the height of
the resulting solid. There are a million ways to reach kids with this stuff
and in my case it was the thinking of a fresh out of college teacher in my
then 3rd graders class.

More information about Clarence can be found on my personal website at:
www.karldenton.com

Karl R. Denton
Lead Engineer
RP and Casting Operations