Re: Students Awed by Technology & Career Opportunities

From: RacerGlen@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 07:45:24 EEST

Terry,

OUCH!!!

Blaming the exhibitors is completely unfair, and offensive.

The point was that trade shows are not the right place.

I routinely take equipment to schools for demos and seminars just about any
time a school or teacher asks. I've recently done several demos and more than
a few student models for high schools and colleges in Southern California. I
recently did this jointly with Marshall Burns at the school where he teaches.
Doing these projects only costs me gas and time away from selling (maybe my
competitor got an order that day because I wasn't around to respond), not the
king's ransom of a trade show. We never turn students away at trade shows,
but we all have to focus on buying customers.
Maybe you have the pull to get SME and others to give us a break for setting
aside times for students. Maybe you will be willing to give a FREE copy of
the Wholer's Report to every student we present to. Perhaps Wohlers
Associates, Inc. would sponsor some educational shows. Do one in Denver, and
I'll bring in a machine.
As Roger Spielman pointed out, the WESTEC show has times where students are
literally brought in by the busload. It's interesting to look down the aisle
and see people (not RP vendors) pulling in their samples, and some even shut
down and leave. Your point of having a volunteer or some form of leader would
most likely be a big improvement. Some organization and discipline would go a
long way to help. Many exhibitors just aren't prepared to deal with large
swarms of students appearing in the booth and grabbing everything in sight.
I have never seen any RP vendor except the old BPM, turn away students or be
anything less than gracious. At the last WESTEC show, I built at least a
dozen models for student who brought files to the show!
I guess you missed the point. RP vendors are not backing away from presenting
to students, it's just that trade shows are not the right place.
To place the bulk of the problem on the exhibitors, Terry, I think you are
WAY out of line.

My thoughts

Glen Chancellor