RE: Students Awed by Technology & Career Opportunities

From: Lauralyn McDaniel (McDaLau@sme.org)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 23:35:02 EEST

With all the discussion on getting young people interested in manufacturing
and particularly RP, I thought I would offer the opportunity to get
involved.

In addition to the programs mentioned by Ron and others, SME offers these
youth outreach programs:
-Robotics, Technology and Engineering Challenge (RTEC)--Middle school
through high school students compete in Olympic-style challenges designed to
utilize their technical and classroom knowledge to design, build and operate
robots.

-Science Technology and Engineering Preview Summer Camp (STEPS)--This
one-week, tuition-free, residential camp introduces girls to the world of
science, technology and engineering by combining college-level science,
engineering and technology courses with hands-on manufacturing techniques.

For RP&M 2003, we are working with Tim Gornet and Vito Gervasi to develop
innovative ways to get more college-level students and faculty involved in
the event. If you are interested in supporting this effort or those
mentioned above, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lauralyn McDaniel
Society of Manufacturing Engineers
313-271-1500, ext. 2119

> Visit SME's new Career Resource Center!
> http://www.sme.org/career
>
> Are you an SME member? Get 4 courses FREE!
> http://www.sme.org/learningcenter

Not a member? Ready to join? Click here: