Re: FormZ Stereolithography Files

From: Paul Suomala (psuomala@sandersdesign.com)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 15:35:10 EEST

Steven,
 I assume that by "spraying" you mean you can see (during ModelWorks slicing)
slice lines reaching away from the STL file - possibly even off the build
platform.
 As you probably know, this indicates the slicer is searching for end-points to
close the loop in the slice and is usually caused by a "leaky" STL file.

 As you may also know, a slice viewed in BView which shows support
fill/close-off where there should be build fill is indicative of leaks while a
blank area (no fill at all) in the same slice as an area that is filled properly
usually indicates that the model is not fully boolean unioned prior to STL
creation. In these cases the filling algorithm is unable to distinguish "inside"
from "outside".

 Is it possible that when you upgraded the software, a setting was changed ( I
am thinking something to do with numeric precision) which causes the problems
you are now experiencing? I am not intimately familiar with FormZ but I know
there is at least one other CAD package that has some boolean issues (and
subsequent STL problems) until some modeling tolerances are reduced.

 If you like, I would be willing to analyze one of the problem-files. Zip it to
this email address. Confidentiality will be protected.

Best regards,
Paul S

ps. When was the last time you checked price of Magics RP?