RE: Students Awed by Technology & Career Opportunities

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 04:04:06 EEST

Dear List

Do any of you have any experience of the Odyssey of the Mind (OM) program?
I would have thought that was one of the biggest organised programs for
schoolkids interested in engineering. I also note that many places are
emulating Junkyard Wars in their institutions, as well as Robot Wars and
the MIT robot program. Many of these things are industry sponsored. We're
currently in the process of entering a Friends of the Earth tournament to
build and race a car powered by solar panels. The entry fee is HK$60k
(about US$8k) in sponsorship. We have no worries about getting sponsorship.
If companies want to get involved in student activities and vice versa,
there are plenty of opportunities in my book. You don't need to invent new
ones, get involved in the existing ones.

I'm very pleased to see discussion in this (what to me is a very important)
area. I'm sure as a result there will be at least a few RP companies
considering how they can raise technology awareness through the schools and
colleges.

IG
>.
>

>For more information about the rp-ml, see http://rapid.lpt.fi/rp-ml/