Image to 3D Model or Surface

From: John Eric Voltin (jevoltin@agile-technology.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 18:28:25 EET

I am looking for a software tool that will convert/map a digital image to either a 3D solid model or surface. The basic idea is to convert/map each of the various colors or grayscale values to a different elevation. I am fairly flexible with regard to output file format. I believe that such a tool exists because I have seen the results of using such a tool. The algorithm should be very similar to those used to convert digital images to mosaics, but in three dimensions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

 - John

John Eric Voltin
Agile Technology, Inc.
Phone: (512) 633-0394