RE: Stratasys - SPT - Slow Prototyping

From: Scott Tilton (stilton@protoprod.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 22:35:33 EET

Instead of extolling the virtues or shortcomings of one system versus
another . .I'll just ask a question instead.

I was reading this debate and then thinking about the post build cool down
times required for large SLS builds.

That powdered Duraform is a great thermal insulator, and it can take a big
partcake a LONG time to cool down.
(there's more to say about that cool down time issue, but I'll save it for
later)

How does it work with FDM?

I assume the build chamber is also heated in an FDM machine to somewhere up
near the melting point of the material. True?

Is there a gradual, programmable cool down stage for a FDM with some sort of
convection currents to assure even cooling?

Do the parts suffer from warping problems because of thermal gradients?

I would guess that this is dependant on the specific part geometry.

Thin wall, solid mass . .mix of the two.

My thanks for the education I'm about to get.

Scott Tilton