Re: CT scan data into 3D model

From: Robert Thompson (anatomics@anatomics.net)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 07:46:26 EET

Hello Ron,

our BioBuild software can easily import 3D CT scans and export STL files. You can download a trial version at www.anatomics.net
It does not allow for the design of implants, as we do not think this expensive functionality is necessary. For most craniofacial abnormalities, the biomodel alone can be used by a skilled prosthetist in consultation with the surgeon to shape a master implant which can be cast in plastic or shaped in titanium. See this under "Products and Services - Custom Implants" on our web site.
As for "creation of the prosthesis in resin, also using stereolithography" - be warned: there is no commercially available SL resin that is implantable. We use StereoCol which is FDA approved for intra-operative use, but cannot be permanently implanted. SL resin is not biocompatible. You will need to use a medical-grade acrylic or other plastic, or titanium - depending on the defect size and location and the preference of the surgeon. Please feel free to contact me for further information.

Kind regards,
Robert Thompson
Biomodelling Manager
Anatomics Pty. Ltd.
www.anatomics.net

 Randy Howard <rhoward@aaahawk.com> wrote:
  Hello,
  I am new to this list so I suppose that this topic may already have been addressed.

  What I would like to do is take the data from a medical CT scan and convert it into a type that can be used by SolidWorks and/or ProE to create a 3D solid model. Additionally, I would like to be able to save the model as an STL file to later be recreated in resin using the stereolithography process.

  I also would like to be able to manipulate the 3D virtual model thus created (in SolidWorks etc.) so that a prosthesis can be designed using the existing geometry of that model for reference. The ultimate goal being creation of the prosthesis in resin, also using stereolithography.

  While I have found several very expensive programs claiming to do these tasks, I need to locate an inexpensive solution to these goals. I am working on this project with another engineer and a physician, without payment, in an effort to find a solution which should bring relief to a friend who has suffered greatly from a physical abnormality. Any support or information furthering this project would be greatly appreciated.

  Randy Howard
  Mechanical Designer
  Everett, WA USA