Re: CT scan data into 3D model

From: Panos Diamantopoulos (diamantopoulos@btconnect.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 14:39:23 EET

Dear All,

It is very encouraging that this area is attracting more and more interest!
A few years ago there were very few people dealing with the area.
I really hope that this interest will push things forward and we will soon see developments in the design of custom-made implant/prosthesis, but in a more general sense.

I would like, however, to bring to your attention that designing an implant or prosthesis is not always a straightforward application of CAD and manufacturing. The integration of Medical Imaging with CAD and RP has certainly been a really great development. This has been proved in the case of the anatomical models but also in the design of maxillofacial implants, basically craniofacial plates. The same applies for custom-made drilling guides which are what I would call 'passive' devices. However, when it comes to 'active' devices, such as custom-made knee replacements, or other implant/prosthesis that actually contributes to body function, then it is another matter! Even if there was a biocompatible, printable material available, this should also satisfy relevant biomechanical aspects, such as interaction with body tissue, bone growth, stress distribution etc. Designing a medical device for aesthetics purposes and for rehabilitation purposes is very different.

We should therefore be quite careful on how we use available technology and what we suggest that we can do!
It would be great if the available technology was introduced into a clinical environment, and I wish that there were even more clinicians willing to investigate potential applications, but we must not ignore that the design of an implant/prosthesis is really a biomechanics' product, not solely a CAD or manufacturing development.

I hope that I make some sense, and really hope that the interest in the area will continue to grow!
If my Unit could possibly be of any assistance on this or other case, just let me know.

Best regards,

Panos

Dr Panos Diamantopoulos, BEng, MA, DPhil
Bio-Medical Modelling Unit (BioModel)
School of Engineering
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QT, UK