RE: Determining the Pitch of Bells

From: Chris Sutcliffe (c.j.sutcliffe@liverpool.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 10:51:19 EET

Dear list

OK here goes....I know little about modal analysis apart from what it is and
a small amount of experience with vibration modes of a cantilever beam
demonstrated to my students. A quick google search with the term "modal
analysis"+bells has however revealed that I am an expert :-) because I am
now aware that modal analysis of bells has been studied by Liang Shen under
the supervision of Dr. Yijun Liu, Associate Professor of Mechanical
Engineering at the university of cincinatti .....check it out at
http://urbana.mie.uc.edu/yliu/Showcase_FEA/Bell_Analysis/Bell.htm

looks like they've done a great job. there's also lots of other stuff out
there as well.

As for software I used the FEA extension of Unigraphics but I'm sure there
are lots of other softwares to do this it's just that I don't know which
ones to recommend......perhaps I'm not such an expert after all. :-(

Best regards

Chris

Dr. Chris Sutcliffe

Rapid, Micro and Bio Manufacturing Research
MSERC
The University of Liverpool
Department of Engineering
Ashton Building