Design Problem

From: Rhys Morgan (r.morgan@liverpool.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 15:55:44 EET

Dear RMPL

I need some help.
I've been asked for some advice on a design problem and I'm having some trouble thinking of ideas.
A prosthetist/orthotist friend of mine saw a patient yesterday with swollen testicles. When the patient arrived at the hospital they wieghed one hundred and forty pounds (64Kg) but since removing a lot of the fluid they've managed to bring the weight down to 84lb (34Kg).

Now the pateient seems fairly comfortable with this, but as you can imagine, he's having trouble getting about. These big boys are 1.5metres in circumference, apparently they look like a very large ham!
My orthotist friend has to design some kind of harness to support these fellas so the patient can get around.
We thought of a carrier bag and braces (suspenders for all you Yanks) but then 84lb is a hell of a lot of weight on the shoulders.
Next idea was a supermarket trolley, it could even be sponsered by Walmart or something!
If anyone has any good ideas, I look forward to hearing them
Cheers
Rhys

Rhys Morgan
Rapid Manufacturing Research
Manufacturing Science and Engineering Research Centre
The University of Liverpool,
Liverpool, UK
L69 3GH

Tel:+44 (0)151 794 4905