clear aorta model

From: Kirk Alcond (kirk@aud.ucla.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 17:48:33 EET

To: <Don_smith@mail1.myexcel.com>, <rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi>
Subject: Re: clear aorta model

Hi Don,

Greg Pettengill's suggestion to rotocast your part is definitely the
answer. Your part has small passageways, though, so make sure you seal your
mold and pressurize it a bit. Rapid Prototype your mold, then drill a hole
in it and epoxy in a tire stem. Then run the pressure up to 40 pounds or
so. (you will do well to experiment to find the best pressure) This air
pressure eliminates all bubbles and foaming, and is critical in producing a
beautiful small part. Use a catalytically activated, clear silicone rubber,
thinned as directed by the manufacturer. Your finished part will be beautiful!

Let us know how you make out.

z Kirk
Kirk Alcond, UCLA Architecture, Shop Supervisor,
Phone: 310-825-1626
________________________________

Don,

I will be a very interested in what you end up doing on this, so please let
me know...

If you want a thin walled part with a consistent wall thickness then I would
suggest that you consider using Rotary Casting. This is commonly used to
make flexible parts in thermoplastics but can also be used with RTV
materials. Besides being relatively inexpensive it will also enable you to
avoid all the issues and difficulties of a core.

Best Regards
Greg Pettengill
Cote' Art & Engineering
321-269-7587