Re: Heat transfer & stereolithographic models

From: Rob Connelly (flpinc@nc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 04:17:24 EET

Hi JC,

Yes, I did heat transfer studies using liquid crystal paint on SL models
many years back. It was inside of turbine airfoils that were scaled up by
10X. It was something of a challenge back when SL materials were cloudy and
colored, but it is less difficult now that there are clear resins on the
market. As for the temperatures, of course a good heat transfer experiment
is over once the heat penetrates the whole model, so in general your models
won't need extreme temperature capability. These materials don't melt, but
they will soften, so you should support them adequately. I don't think that
outgassing will be a problem, but if you have sensitive paints that you may
want to test them first with a sample of the material.

Call or email if I can help you with this in any way.

Rob Connelly
FineLine Prototyping, Inc.
6300 Limousine DR
Suite 130