Re: desktop milling

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 23:52:06 EEST

Sehr geehrter Herr Himmer, Dear Thomas,

As we are a software manufacturer and a reseller for a few desktop
machines I won't give any (biased) advises. Still I can give some
suggestions that might be useful.
- for a nice (unbiased) overview see www.desktopcnc.com
- Feed/speed in practice for most small machines differs from
theoretical speed, as accellerating/decellerating takes much time.
High speeds are only possible for long movements, in case of many
short movements speed will be (much) lower.
- accuracy is OK for RP; moldmaking will be difficult.
- in Germany the largest supplier of desktop machines is Isel
(we do sell Isel machines via www.spline.nl), also many smaller
manufacturers are present. The lowcost CPM machines are very reliable,
weak point is the spindlemotor that will have to be replaced now and then.
- for some nice examples see our gallery at www.deskproto.com

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

At 02:49 PM 01/04/2003, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>can you give me some advice concerning CNC Desktop Milling systems in terms of
>1. Accuracy,
>2. Feed/Speed,
>3. Price,
>4. Reliability,
>5. Good/bad experience with such machines?
>
>Best regards
>
>Thomas Himmer
>Fraunhofer-Institut für Werkstoff- und Strahltechnik
>Winterbergstr. 28
>01277 Dresden, Germany
>Tel. +49 (0)351 258 3202 or 3145
>Fax +49 (0)351 258 3300
>www.iws.fhg.de/~melato/

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com